I really like Olive Garden’s Zuppa Toscana and came up with this version that uses lighter ingredients. If using chicken or turkey Italian sausage that is precooked, slice and add it near the end. For regular Italian sausage, use bulk variety or remove casings.
- 6-8 ozitalian sausage – hot or mild
- 1/2 – 3/4 conion, chopped (1 small)
- 1/2 cfennel, chopped (optional)
- 1 clovegarlic, minced or grated
- 2 Tbspchicken base
- 4 cwater
- 1 largebaking potato, cut into slices, no need to peel
- 1 cmilk (if using evaporated just use the whole can)
- 2-3 ckale, stemmed and chopped
- 2 Tbspreal bacon bits
- ·salt and pepper, to taste
How to Make Zuppa Toscana – Lite 2
- In a soup pot, cook sausage over medium high heat. Break up while cooking. When sausage is starting to brown, add onion and fennel. Cook until onion starts to turn translucent. Add garlic and cook until it "speaks".
- Add water and soup base and potato. Bring to boil, then simmer for 15 minutes or until potato can be pierced with a fork easily.
- Add bacon bits, kale and milk. Simmer about 5 more minutes, until kale has wilted. Check for salt and pepper. Serve.