This vegan lentil soup recipe is packed with fresh ingredients and plenty of lentils that deliver a healthy dose of fiber in each bite. This vegan soup is the perfect cold-weather lunch or healthy dinner the whole family will love.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 ½ cups chopped yellow onions
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons no-salt-added tomato paste
- 4 cups reduced-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 (15 ounce) can no-salt-added cannellini beans, rinsed
- 1 cup mixed dry lentils (brown, green and black)
- ½ cup chopped sun-dried tomatoes in oil, drained
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill, plus more for garnish
- 1 ½ teaspoons red-wine vinegar
- Step 1
Heat oil in a large heavy pot over medium heat. Add onions and carrots; cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 3 to 4 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add tomato paste and cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture is evenly coated, about 1 minute.
Stir in broth, water, cannellini beans, lentils, sun-dried tomatoes, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat; reduce heat to medium-low to maintain a simmer. Cover and simmer until the lentils are tender, 30 to 40 minutes.
Remove from heat and stir in dill and vinegar. Garnish with additional dill, if desired and serve.
Serving Size: about 1 cup Per Serving: 272 calories; fat 7g; sodium 487mg; carbohydrates 42g; dietary fiber 9g; protein 13g; niacin equivalents 2mg; saturated fat 1g; vitamin a iu 4618IU.