Make a big batch of low-calorie veggie-packed soup with ease in this load-and-go crock pot recipe. After simmering away in the slow cooker, portion it into individual serving containers and store in the fridge or freezer for fast, healthy lunches or an easy, satisfying snack. This weight-loss vegetable soup fills you up without a lot of calories, plus it’s an easy way to eat more vegetables.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 12 ounces fresh green beans, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 4 cups chopped kale
- 2 medium zucchini, chopped
- 4 Roma tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 (15 ounce) cans no-salt-added cannellini or other white beans, rinsed
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth or low-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoon ground pepper
- 2 teaspoons red-wine vinegar
- 8 teaspoons prepared pesto
- Step 1
Combine onion, carrots, celery, green beans, kale, zucchini, tomatoes, garlic, white beans, broth, salt and pepper in a 6-quart or larger slow cooker. Cook on High for 4 hours or Low for 6 hours.
Stir in vinegar and top each serving of soup with 1 teaspoon pesto.
Equipment: 6-quart or larger slow cooker
To make ahead: Prepare through Step 1 and refrigerate for up to 5 days or freeze for up to 6 months; finish Step 2 just before serving.
Serving Size: 1 1/2 cups Per Serving: 174 calories; protein 10.3g; carbohydrates 26.4g; dietary fiber 7.6g; sugars 5.2g; fat 4.2g; saturated fat 0.7g; vitamin a iu 4134.1IU; vitamin c 30.3mg; folate 52.3mcg; calcium 101.8mg; iron 2.8mg; magnesium 87.4mg; potassium 762.7mg; sodium 714.3mg; thiamin 0.7mg. Exchanges:
2 vegetable, 1 lean-fat protein, 1 starch