This slow-cooker chicken noodle soup fits nicely into the Mediterranean diet thanks to plenty of vegetables, lean chicken breast and whole-wheat pasta. Pair it with a salad and toasted whole-grain bread for an easy, healthy dinner.
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1 (14 ounce) can no-salt-added fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 ½ cups chopped yellow onion
- 1 cup chopped orange bell pepper
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon ground pepper
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 ounces whole-wheat rotini pasta
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley, plus more for garnish
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Step 1
Combine chicken, tomatoes, broth, onion, bell pepper, garlic, Italian seasoning, pepper, salt, crushed red pepper and bay leaf in a 4-quart slow cooker. Cover and cook on High until the chicken is tender and an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the chicken registers 165 degrees F, about 3 hours. Remove and discard the bay leaf. Transfer the chicken to a plate; let rest for 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, stir pasta into the mixture in the slow cooker; cover and cook on High until the pasta is tender, about 30 minutes.
Coarsely shred the chicken and stir it back into the soup, along with basil and parsley. Ladle the soup evenly into 6 bowls; sprinkle with Parmesan and garnish with parsley, if desired.
4-qt. slow cooker
Serving Size: about 2 cups Per Serving: 256 calories; protein 23.7g; carbohydrates 29g; dietary fiber 3.8g; sugars 4.1g; fat 4.8g; saturated fat 1.5g; cholesterol 47.5mg; vitamin a iu 1037.9IU; vitamin c 37.8mg; folate 26.9mcg; calcium 93.1mg; iron 2mg; magnesium 27.2mg; potassium 516.2mg; sodium 662.7mg; thiamin 0.1mg. Exchanges:
2 lean protein, 1 1/2 starch, 1 1/2 vegetable, 1/2 high-fat protein