The only things better than healthy dinner ideas are healthy dinner ideas that are easy. This set-it-and-forget-it slow-cooker soup recipe is just that. It simmers away all day so you come home to a warm and healthy dinner the whole family will love. Using bone-in chicken is the key to making rich soup without adding broth.
- 1 ½ cups dried chickpeas, soaked overnight
- 4 cups water
- 1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) can no-salt-added diced tomatoes, preferably fire-roasted
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 teaspoons ground cumin
- 4 teaspoons paprika
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ¼ teaspoon ground pepper
- 2 pounds bone-in chicken thighs, skin removed, trimmed
- 1 (14 ounce) can artichoke hearts, drained and quartered
- ¼ cup halved pitted oil-cured olives
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley or cilantro
- Step 1
Gather all the ingredients.
Drain 1 1/2 cups chickpeas and place in a 6-quart or larger slow cooker. Add 4 cups water, onion, tomatoes and their juice, 2 tablespoons tomato paste, garlic, bay leaf, 4 teaspoons cumin, 4 teaspoon paprika, 1/4 teaspoon cayenne and 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper; stir to combine. Add 2 pounds chicken. Cover and cook on Low for 8 hours or High for 4 hours.
Transfer the chicken to a clean cutting board and let cool slightly. Discard bay leaf. Add artichokes, 1/4 cup olives and 1/2 teaspoon salt to the slow cooker and stir to combine.
Shred the chicken, discarding bones. Stir the chicken into the soup.
Serve topped with 1/4 cup parsley (or cilantro).
To make ahead: Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
Equipment: 6-qt. or larger slow cooker
Serving Size: about 2 cups Per Serving: 447 calories; protein 33.6g; carbohydrates 43g; dietary fiber 11.6g; sugars 8.5g; fat 15.3g; saturated fat 3.3g; cholesterol 76.5mg; vitamin a iu 1590IU; vitamin c 15.1mg; folate 194.1mcg; calcium 114.7mg; iron 5.7mg; magnesium 78.7mg; potassium 608.8mg; sodium 761.8mg. Exchanges:
4 1/2 lean protein, 2 starch, 2 vegetable, 1/2 fat