This rustic stew cooks all day in the slow cooker so you can come home to a comforting, hot dinner. Not a fan of polenta? Try this healthy chicken dinner over pasta instead.
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cups chopped red bell peppers
- 2 cups chopped yellow onion
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms, halved
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons minced garlic
- ¼ cup chopped fresh oregano
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- ½ cup red wine
- 4 pounds bone-in, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed
- 1 (28 ounce) can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 cup unsalted chicken broth
- ¼ cup drained capers
- ¼ cup pitted Kalamata olives
- 3 cups water
- 1 ⅓ cups uncooked instant polenta
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup torn fresh basil
- Step 1
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add bell peppers, onion, mushrooms and 1/4 teaspoon salt; cook, stirring often, until beginning to brown, about 8 minutes. Add flour, tomato paste, garlic, oregano and crushed red pepper; cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in wine; cook, stirring and scraping up any browned bits, for 30 seconds.
Transfer the mixture to a 6-quart slow cooker. Stir in chicken, tomatoes, broth and capers. Cover and cook on Low for 8 hours.
Transfer the chicken to a clean cutting board; let cool for 5 minutes. Remove bones and return the meat to the slow cooker. Stir in olives and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt. Cover to keep warm.
Meanwhile, bring water to a boil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Whisk in polenta; cook, stirring often, until thickened, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in Parmesan. Serve the chicken and sauce over the polenta, topped with basil.
Equipment: 6-qt. slow cooker
Serving Size: 1 1/2 cups chicken with sauce and 1/2 cup polenta Per Serving: 448 calories; protein 38.3g; carbohydrates 38.5g; dietary fiber 5.4g; sugars 7.3g; fat 13.8g; saturated fat 3.6g; cholesterol 174.9mg; vitamin a iu 1802.4IU; vitamin c 69.8mg; folate 49.5mcg; calcium 89.2mg; iron 2.8mg; magnesium 52mg; potassium 708.2mg; sodium 665.6mg. Exchanges:
4 1/2 lean protein, 2 1/2 vegetable, 1 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat