In this French-style healthy soup recipe, sausage, cabbage and root vegetables simmer together to make a comforting and healthy meal. Serve the soup piping hot with grated Parmesan cheese on the side. Like most soups, the flavors are even better if it’s made a day ahead.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 pound Italian turkey sausage, mild or spicy, casings removed
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 medium carrots, diced (1/2 inch)
- 2 small turnips, peeled and diced (1/2 inch)
- 1 medium celery root, peeled and diced (1/2 inch)
- 1 large Yukon Gold potato, peeled and diced (1/2 inch)
- 10 cups very thinly sliced green cabbage (about 1/2 medium head)
- 8 cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- ¾ cup dry white wine
- 1 cup chopped fresh tomato
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Step 1
Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large soup pot over medium-high heat. Add sausage and cook, stirring frequently, until well browned, about 10 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon to a paper towel to drain.
Reduce heat to medium and add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil, onion, garlic, salt and pepper; cook, stirring, until starting to soften, 2 to 3 minutes. Add carrots, turnips, celery root and potato and cook, stirring once or twice, until starting to get tender, 4 to 5 minutes. Add cabbage; cook until starting to wilt, about 2 minutes. Return the sausage to the pot and stir in broth, wine, tomato, rosemary and thyme. Increase heat to high and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to maintain a simmer, cover and cook for 1 hour.
Uncover and simmer for 15 minutes to reduce the broth and intensify the flavor of the soup. Taste and add more pepper if desired. Serve topped with Parmesan.
Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
Serving Size: about 1 3/4 cups Per Serving: 315 calories; protein 20.8g; carbohydrates 31.2g; dietary fiber 5.9g; sugars 8.1g; fat 11.4g; saturated fat 2.9g; cholesterol 46.8mg; vitamin a iu 2935.9IU; vitamin c 54.1mg; folate 65.2mcg; calcium 161.5mg; iron 2.7mg; magnesium 61.8mg; potassium 1089.2mg; sodium 663.8mg; thiamin 0.2mg. Exchanges:
1/2 starch, 3 1.2 vegetable, 2 lean meat, 1 fat