Pipirrana is a simple, fresh, summer tomato salad from Andalusia, Southern Spain. Many regions have their own variations but, typically, the 4 ingredients they all have are tomatoes, cucumbers, onions, and bell peppers. Serve with some crusty bread to soak up the juices.
- 3 medium tomatoes, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper, coarsely chopped
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and pressed
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 3 large hard-boiled eggs, peeled and quartered
- 3 tablespoons sliced Spanish pimento-stuffed green olives
- Step 1
Combine tomatoes, cucumber, green pepper, and onion in a bowl.
Stir red wine vinegar and garlic together in a small bowl for the dressing; gradually whisk in olive oil. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
Drizzle dressing over the tomato mixture and toss well to coat. Cover and chill in the refrigerator for 2 hours.
Garnish the salad with hard-boiled egg wedges and olives before serving.
Per Serving: 203 calories; protein 6.6g; carbohydrates 10.5g; fat 15.6g; cholesterol 159mg; sodium 271.2mg.