This creamy vegetarian soup recipe is brimming with veggies, and prep is easy thanks to the convenience of mixed frozen vegetables and tender baby lima beans. There’s no need to thaw the beans and veggies before adding them to the pot—they can go in frozen and, in no time, you’ll be enjoying a creamy, comforting vegetarian soup the whole family will love.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 ½ cups chopped yellow onion
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups whole milk
- 2 cups unsalted vegetable broth
- 1 large Yukon Gold potato, unpeeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 ½ cups frozen baby lima beans
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground pepper
- 2 ½ cups frozen mixed vegetables
- ½ cup frozen peas
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- Step 1
Heat oil in a large heavy pot over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add garlic; cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add flour; cook, stirring constantly, until toasted, about 1 minute. Add milk, broth, potato, lima beans, salt and pepper; stir to combine. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to maintain a simmer; cook, stirring occasionally, until the potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes. Stir in mixed vegetables, peas, dill and lemon zest; cook, stirring often, until warmed through, about 4 minutes. Serve hot.
Serving Size: about 1 3/4 cups Per Serving: 317 calories; fat 9g; cholesterol 12mg; sodium 317mg; carbohydrates 46g; dietary fiber 9g; protein 13g; sugars 9g; niacin equivalents 2mg; saturated fat 3g; vitamin a iu 5248IU.