This one-pot chicken and rice dinner is creamy, cozy and packed with vegetables! Tarragon offers a sweet mellow flavor, but if you’re not a fan, basil can be used in its place.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch strips
- 1 cup finely chopped yellow onion
- 4 cups packed baby spinach
- 1 cup long-grain white rice
- 1 cup frozen sweet peas
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups unsalted chicken broth, divided
- ⅔ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Step 1
Heat oil in a medium Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add chicken; cook, undisturbed, until browned on the bottom, 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer to a plate. Do not wipe the pot clean.
Add onion to the pot; cook over medium-high heat, stirring often, until slightly softened, about 2 minutes. Add spinach; cook, stirring constantly, until just wilted, about 1 minute. Stir in rice, peas, lemon zest, salt and 1 3/4 cups broth. Return the chicken to the pot. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer, undisturbed, until the chicken is cooked through, the liquid is absorbed and the rice is almost tender, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand, covered, until the rice is tender, about 5 minutes. Add Parmesan, cream cheese, tarragon, lemon juice and the remaining 1/4 cup broth, stir until the cheese is melted and the mixture is creamy.
Serving Size: 1 1/3 cups
Per Serving: 512 calories; fat 18 g; cholesterol 129mg; sodium 701mg; carbohydrates 51g; dietary fiber 4g; protein 34g; sugars 5g; niacin equivalents 13mg; saturated fat 7g; vitamin a iu 3376IU; potassium 540mg.