These Mint Chocolate Chips Bars are truly a delightful treat, especially for St. Patrick’s Day. The green color from the Green Creme de Menthe is all you need to add the perfect touch of green to this desert. For those worried about the alcohol content, it cooks off when baked…and the tsp of it in the glaze is negligible..no more than in vanilla extract.
These will pair well with a scoop of Vanilla Ice Cream. The texture is a bit like a brownie.
I hope you will make a batch of these to enjoy.
THE BASIC DOUGH
- 1 1/2 stickunsalted butter (softened)
- 1/2 tspkosher salt
- 1 csugar
- 1 tspbaking powder
- 1/2 tspbaking soda
- 2 largeeggs
- 1 3/4 call purpose flour
ADDITIONS FOR DOUGH 1 (1/2 OF BASIC DOUGH)
- 3 Tbsp(each) unsweetened cocoa and sugar
- 1/2 tspvanilla
ADDITIONS FOR DOUGH 2 (2ND 1/2 OF BASIC DOUGH)
- 2 Tbspgreen creme de menthe
- 1/4 call purpose flour
TOPPER FOR DOUGH
- 2/3 cdark chocolate chips
- 1/2 cpowdered sugar
- 1 Tbspunsalted butter (softened)
- 1 tspgreen creme de menthe
- 2 tspmilk
- ·a few drops of water, if needed
How to Make Mint Chocolate Chip Bars
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream butter for basic dough (use paddle) with sugar, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. Add eggs and mix well. Add in flour.
- Remove half of the basic dough from bowl to a medium sized bowl.
- To the dough remaining in the stand mixer bowl, add additions for dough 1. Mix well.
- To the dough in other bowl, add additions for dough 2. Mix well.
- Spread dough 1 (chocolate dough) in the bottom of a 9×13 baking pan that is lined with nonstick foil. The foil should extend over each end for easy removal later. The easiest way to spread dough is to place dollops of dough evenly in the pan and use a butter knife to join together.
- Using the same technique, distribute the minted dough on top of the chocolate dough. Carefully spread to frost the top of the chocolate dough.
- Distribute chocolate chips evenly on top of minted dough. Press in lightly. Do not disturb the separation of dough layers.
- Bake in a 375 degree oven for 17-18 minutes. The dough will have browned a bit and a toothpick should test clean in the center (where there is no melted chocolate).
- Cool on rack 15-20 minutes in pan. Meanwhile, mix all ingredients in a small bowl for the glaze. Add a few drops water, if needed for drizzle consistency.
- Drizzle the glaze evenly over the baked and slightly cooled cookie layer.
Cool another 30 minutes or more before pulling the entire baked cookie layer out of the pan to place on a large cutting board. Using a large knife, cut in to squares of desired size and place the cut squares back on rack to set up. When the chocolate chips have set up, pack the bars in a container with wax paper between layers. Cover tightly.