Forget the marble-size meatballs you find in many versions of this Italian Wedding Soup. In this easy recipe, they’re full-size, full-flavored and plenty filling.
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 ⅓ cups chopped yellow onion
- ⅔ cup chopped carrot
- ⅔ cup chopped celery
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 6 cups unsalted chicken broth
- 6 ounces orzo, preferably whole-wheat
- 1 ½ tablespoons chopped fresh oregano
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 24 cooked chicken meatballs (12 ounces), such as Easy Chicken Meatballs (see associated recipe)
- 4 cups baby spinach
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Step 1
Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add onion, carrot, celery and garlic; cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is translucent, 4 to 5 minutes.
Add broth, cover and bring to a boil. Add orzo, oregano and salt; cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the orzo is just tender, about 9 minutes.
Stir in meatballs and spinach; cook until the meatballs are heated through and the spinach is wilted, 2 to 4 minutes.
Serve sprinkled with cheese and drizzled with the remaining 3 tablespoons oil.
Easy Chicken Meatballs
Serving Size: 1 1/2 cups Per Serving: 415 calories; protein 25.8g; carbohydrates 36.1g; dietary fiber 3.7g; sugars 5.2g; fat 19g; saturated fat 4.7g; cholesterol 100.6mg; vitamin a iu 5269.9IU; vitamin c 20.3mg; folate 22.9mcg; calcium 165.3mg; iron 3.4mg; magnesium 67.6mg; potassium 680.9mg; sodium 728mg. Exchanges:
2 fat, 1 1/2 lean protein, 1 1/2 starch, 1 1/2 vegetable, 1/2 medium-fat protein