Quinoa and chickpeas pack this vegetarian grain bowl with plenty of plant-based protein. Whip up a batch of these Mediterranean meals and pack in containers with lids to stash in the fridge for easy, healthy grab & go lunches all week long.
- 1 (7 ounce) jar roasted red peppers, rinsed
- ¼ cup slivered almonds
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper (optional)
- 2 cups cooked quinoa
- ¼ cup Kalamata olives, chopped
- ¼ cup finely chopped red onion
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed
- 1 cup diced cucumber
- ¼ cup crumbled feta cheese
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
- Step 1
Place peppers, almonds, 2 tablespoons oil, garlic, paprika, cumin and crushed red pepper (if using) in a mini food processor. Puree until fairly smooth.
Combine quinoa, olives, red onion and the remaining 2 tablespoons oil in a medium bowl.
To serve, divide the quinoa mixture among 4 bowls and top with equal amounts of the chickpeas, cucumber and the red pepper sauce. Sprinkle with feta and parsley.
To make ahead: Prepare red pepper sauce (Step 1) and quinoa (Step 2); refrigerate in separate containers. Assemble just before serving.
Serving Size: 1 1/2 cups Per Serving: 479 calories; protein 12.7g; carbohydrates 49.5g; dietary fiber 7.7g; sugars 2.5g; fat 24.8g; saturated fat 4.3g; cholesterol 8.3mg; vitamin a iu 1145.8IU; vitamin c 9.6mg; folate 105.8mcg; calcium 135.8mg; iron 3.5mg; magnesium 109.9mg; potassium 442.6mg; sodium 646mg; thiamin 0.2mg. Exchanges:
4 1/2 fat, 2 1/2 starch, 1 1/2 vegetable, 1/2 lean protein