This Mediterranean lentil salad, with chopped veggies, feta cheese and a light dressing, is perfect to have on hand for a quick lunch.
- 3 cups cooked brown lentils (see Tip)
- 1 pint multicolored cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 ½ cups chopped English cucumber
- ½ cup coarsely chopped pitted Kalamata olives
- ½ cup thinly sliced red onion
- ½ cup crumbled feta cheese
- ½ teaspoon salt, divided
- ½ teaspoon ground pepper, divided
- 3 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped shallot
- ½ teaspoon minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon honey
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Step 1
Combine lentils, tomatoes, cucumber, olives, onion, feta and 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper in a large bowl; set aside.
Whisk vinegar, shallot, garlic, honey and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper in a small bowl. Gradually whisk in oil until well combined. Gently stir the dressing into the lentil mixture. Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate for up to 5 days.
To make ahead
Cover and refrigerate for up to 5 days.
To cook lentils: Rinse 1 cup dry brown lentils. Place the lentils and 4 cups water in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer until tender, 20 to 25 minutes. Drain well and spread evenly on a rimmed baking sheet. Refrigerate until cool, about 25 minutes.
Serving Size: about 1 cup Per Serving: 271 calories; fat 15g; cholesterol 8mg; sodium 476mg; carbohydrates 25g; dietary fiber 8g; protein 11g; sugars 5g; niacin equivalents 1mg; saturated fat 3g; vitamin a iu 490IU; potassium 528mg.