In this cucumber, tomato, Swiss cheese and chickpea salad recipe, a healthy green goddess dressing is made from avocado, buttermilk and herbs. The extra dressing is delicious served with grilled vegetables.
- 1 avocado, peeled and pitted
- 1 ½ cups buttermilk
- ¼ cup chopped fresh herbs, such as tarragon, sorrel, mint, parsley and/or cilantro
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 cups chopped romaine lettuce
- 1 cup sliced cucumber
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed
- ¼ cup diced low-fat Swiss cheese
- 6 cherry tomatoes, halved if desired
- Step 1
To prepare dressing: Place avocado, buttermilk, herbs, vinegar and salt in a blender. Puree until smooth.
To prepare salad: Toss lettuce and cucumber in a bowl with 1/4 cup of the dressing. Top with chickpeas, cheese and tomatoes. (Refrigerate the extra dressing for up to 3 days.)
To make ahead: Cover and refrigerate leftover dressing for up to 3 days.
Serving Size: 2 3/4 cups Per Serving: 304 calories; protein 21.7g; carbohydrates 39.8g; dietary fiber 11.9g; sugars 10.1g; fat 7.5g; saturated fat 1.7g; cholesterol 12mg; vitamin a iu 6774.1IU; vitamin c 14mg; folate 180.9mcg; calcium 420mg; iron 2.5mg; magnesium 71.8mg; potassium 641.4mg; sodium 465mg. Exchanges:
2 starch, 1 high-fat protein, 1 lean protein, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat