This foolproof cake is one of our most popular recipes. Dutch-process cocoa is preferred here for its deep chocolate flavor.
- 1 ¾ cups all-purpose white flour
- 1 cup white sugar
- ¾ cup unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking soda
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 ¼ cups buttermilk
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- ¼ cup canola oil
- 2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup hot strong black coffee
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1-2 tablespoons buttermilk, or low-fat milk
- Step 1
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly oil a 12-cup Bundt pan or coat it with nonstick cooking spray. Dust the pan with flour, invert and shake out the excess.
In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, white sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Add buttermilk, brown sugar, eggs, oil and vanilla; beat with an electric mixer on medium speed for 2 minutes. Whisk in hot coffee until completely incorporated. (The batter will be quite thin.)
Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 45 to 55 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool the cake in the pan on a rack for 10 minutes; remove from the pan and let cool completely.
To make icing: In a small bowl, whisk together confectioners’ sugar, vanilla and enough of the buttermilk or milk to make a thick but pourable icing. Set the cake on a serving plate and drizzle the icing over the top.
Per Serving: 240 calories; protein 3.7g; carbohydrates 47.6g; dietary fiber 1.9g; sugars 34.5g; fat 5g; saturated fat 0.9g; cholesterol 24mg; vitamin a iu 43.5IU; vitamin c 0.2mg; folate 45.5mcg; calcium 71.5mg; iron 1.5mg; magnesium 28mg; potassium 142.1mg; sodium 361.7mg; thiamin 0.1mg. Exchanges:
3 other carbohydrate, 1 fat