Our favorite part of these vegetarian grain bowls is the tangy lemon vinaigrette, which ties together a satisfying combo of quinoa, toasted pumpkin seeds, and roasted chickpeas and kale. Whip them up for easy meal-prep lunches or a healthy and satisfying dinner.
- ⅔ cup quinoa
- 1 ⅓ cups water plus 1 tablespoon, divided
- ⅛ teaspoon salt plus 1/4 teaspoon, divided
- 1 (15 ounce) can no-salt-added chickpeas, rinsed
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil plus 2 tablespoons, divided
- ¼ teaspoon ground pepper, divided
- 1 bunch kale, stems removed, thinly sliced (about 5 cups)
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup crumbled feta cheese
- 2 tablespoons toasted pumpkin seeds
- Step 1
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Coat a large rimmed baking sheet liberally with cooking spray.
Combine quinoa, 1 1/3 cups water, and 1/8 teaspoon salt in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low, partially cover, and simmer until the quinoa is tender, about 15 minutes. Drain any excess water.
Meanwhile, pat chickpeas dry with a paper towel. Toss with onion, 2 teaspoons oil, and 1/8 teaspoon each salt and pepper in a large bowl. Spread out on the prepared baking sheet. Roast for 15 minutes.
Toss kale with 2 teaspoons oil and the remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt in the large bowl. Stir the kale into the chickpeas and roast for 15 minutes more.
Whisk mustard, garlic, lemon zest, lemon juice, the remaining 1 tablespoon water and the remaining 1/8 teaspoon pepper in a small bowl. Whisk in the remaining 2 tablespoons oil.
Divide the quinoa among 4 serving bowls. Top with the kale mixture, bell pepper slices, feta, and pumpkin seeds. Drizzle with the vinaigrette.
Serving Size: 1 1/2 cups salad and 1 tablespoon vinaigrette Per Serving: 370 calories; protein 12.4g; carbohydrates 40.7g; dietary fiber 9g; sugars 7g; fat 18.2g; saturated fat 3.6g; cholesterol 8.3mg; vitamin a iu 3344.6IU; vitamin c 82.2mg; folate 133.5mcg; calcium 138.5mg; iron 3.3mg; magnesium 108.1mg; potassium 562.4mg; sodium 486.3mg.