This rich-tasting but better-for-you creamy chicken soup has a delicious chicken pot pie feel to it. We call for rotisserie chicken to streamline your prep time–look for a nice big one with lots of breast meat on it. Pair this comforting and easy soup recipe with a green salad, or, if you’re really hungry, a grilled cheese sandwich.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups chopped yellow onion (from 1 large onion)
- 1 cup chopped carrots (from 2 medium carrots)
- 1 cup chopped celery (from 2 large stalks)
- 1 ¾ teaspoons kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 cups unsalted chicken stock
- 2 cups whole milk
- 4 ounces uncooked whole-wheat egg noodles
- 3 cups coarsely chopped rotisserie chicken breast (from 2 rotisserie chickens)
- 1 cup frozen green peas
- Step 1
Melt butter with olive oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high. Add onion, carrots, celery and salt, and cook, stirring often, until vegetables are slightly softened, 6 to 8 minutes. Add flour and stir to coat. Stir in broth and milk and let mixture come to a boil. Add uncooked noodles to boiling mixture. Cover and cook until noodles are al dente, about 8 minutes. Stir in chicken and peas and cook until pasta reaches desired doneness and chicken and peas are warmed through, about 1 to 2 more minutes. Serve immediately.
Serving Size: 1 1/4 cups Per Serving: 258 calories; protein 23g; carbohydrates 24g; dietary fiber 4g; sugars 7g; fat 9g; saturated fat 4g; calcium 101mg; potassium 422mg; sodium 730mg.