This layered salad features cornbread, black-eyed peas, corn, tomatoes and Cheddar cheese with a garnish of crumbled bacon and a creamy homemade dressing that soaks into the mix.
- ¼ cup buttermilk
- ¼ cup sour cream
- ½ teaspoon ground pepper
- ¼ teaspoon dried dill
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 3 ½ cups cornbread cubes (1-inch; see Tip)
- 1 (15-ounce) can no-salt-added black-eyed peas, rinsed
- 2 cups corn kernels, fresh or thawed frozen
- 1 small romaine heart, thinly sliced (about 2 cups)
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, cut into halves or quarters
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 4 center-cut bacon slices, cooked and crumbled
- Step 1
Whisk buttermilk, sour cream, pepper, dill, garlic powder, onion powder and salt together in a medium bowl until combined.
Arrange cornbread cubes in the bottom of a medium trifle dish or medium glass bowl. Layer with black-eyed peas, corn, lettuce, tomatoes, Cheddar and bacon. Top with the buttermilk dressing. Cover and refrigerate until the cornbread has soaked up some of the dressing and the lettuce is still crispy, 2 to 3 hours.
We love the fresh taste of homemade cornbread, such as our Wholesome Cornbread but any cornbread will work well here.
Serving Size: about 3/4 cup Per Serving: 172 calories; fat 5.3g; cholesterol 16.9mg; sodium 275.2mg; carbohydrates 25.9g; dietary fiber 4.5g; protein 7.5g; sugars 6.8g; niacin equivalents 1.5mg; saturated fat 1.5g; vitamin a iu 1181.2IU.