Quinoa and chickpeas pack this vegetarian grain bowl with plenty of plant-based protein. Whip up a batch of these flavorful grain bowls and pack them in lidded containers to stash in the fridge for easy, healthy grab-and-go lunches all week long.
- 1 (7 ounce) jar roasted red peppers, rinsed
- ¼ cup slivered almonds
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper (optional)
- 2 cups cooked quinoa
- ¼ cup Kalamata olives, chopped
- ¼ cup finely chopped red onion
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed
- 1 cup diced cucumber
- ¼ cup crumbled feta cheese
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
- Step 1
Place peppers, almonds, 2 tablespoons oil, garlic, paprika, cumin and crushed red pepper (if using) in a mini food processor. Puree until fairly smooth.
Combine quinoa, olives, red onion and the remaining 2 tablespoons oil in a medium bowl.
To serve, divide the quinoa mixture among 4 bowls and top with equal amounts of the chickpeas, cucumber and the red pepper sauce. Sprinkle with feta and parsley.
To make ahead
Prepare red pepper sauce (Step 1) and quinoa (Step 2); refrigerate in separate containers. Assemble just before serving.
Serving Size: 1 1/2 cups Per Serving: 479 calories; protein 12.7g; carbohydrates 49.5g; dietary fiber 7.7g; sugars 2.5g; fat 24.8g; saturated fat 4.3g; cholesterol 8.3mg; vitamin a iu 1145.8IU; vitamin c 9.6mg; folate 105.8mcg; calcium 135.8mg; iron 3.5mg; magnesium 109.9mg; potassium 442.6mg; sodium 646mg; thiamin 0.2mg. Exchanges:
4 1/2 fat, 2 1/2 starch, 1 1/2 vegetable, 1/2 lean protein