This gorgeous and healthy summer vegetable salad is loaded with pretty produce, including golden beets, avocado, corn, microgreens and radishes. Chickpeas and edamame add substance, and an herb-filled buttermilk-avocado dressing makes this salad really special. Serve it on its own for a light vegetarian meal or add grilled chicken for an easy weeknight dinner.
- 3 small golden beets (10 ounces total), peeled and trimmed
- 2 small ripe avocados (6 ounces each)
- 1 cup chopped fresh herbs (such as tarragon, dill, parsley, chives and/or cilantro)
- ½ cup plus 2 tablespoons low-fat buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 small garlic clove
- 2 tablespoons plus 4 teaspoons fresh lemon juice, divided
- ¾ teaspoon salt, divided
- 8 cups chopped romaine lettuce
- 1 (15.5 ounce) can no-salt-added chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup lightly packed microgreens (such as pea shoots)
- 1 cup fresh corn kernels (from 2 ears)
- 1 cup frozen edamame, thawed
- 1 small watermelon radish, halved and thinly sliced on a mandoline (about 1/4 cup)
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Step 1
Wrap beets together in 1 sheet of microwavable parchment paper. Microwave on High until tender, 10 to 12 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes. Cut each beet into 8 wedges.
Meanwhile, cut 1 avocado into 12 wedges. Chop the remaining avocado.
Combine herbs, buttermilk, water, garlic, 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons lemon juice and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a blender. Puree until smooth, about 10 seconds, stopping to scrape down sides as needed. Add the chopped avocado; process on medium speed until blended and smooth, about 30 seconds, stopping to scrape down sides as needed.
Arrange romaine on a large platter. Top with chickpeas, microgreens, corn, edamame, radish slices, beet wedges and avocado wedges. Drizzle with oil and the remaining 2 teaspoons lemon juice; sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt. Spoon the buttermilk dressing over the salad.
Equipment: Microwavable parchment paper
Serving Size: 2 cups salad & about 2 1/2 Tbsp. dressing Per Serving: 292 calories; protein 10.9g; carbohydrates 30.6g; dietary fiber 10.9g; sugars 8.3g; fat 15.6g; saturated fat 2.3g; cholesterol 1mg; vitamin a iu 6097.5IU; vitamin c 22.2mg; folate 322.8mcg; calcium 116.3mg; iron 3mg; magnesium 83.6mg; potassium 919.8mg; sodium 400.2mg; thiamin 0.2mg. Exchanges:
2 1/2 fat, 1 1/2 vegetable, 1 lean protein, 1 starch