My local butcher is awesome and this is his recipe and tip. This recipe requires overnight curing of the skin to dry – allowing for crackling that is out of this world. Don’t skimp on the salt.
Due to the size of my 3 teenage sons (each about 6ft or taller) I make two as they each have large portions – of everything!
- 5 lbroast pork shoulder (about 2.4 kilos)
- 1 tspsalt
- ·2 pieces damp paper towel – for covering
How to Make Betty’s butchers roast pork with crackling
- The DAY BEFORE – open the package and score the meat more – making long incisions through the skin. Place the meat into the tray that will be used to bake the meat in. Cover the meat with damp paper towels and pop in the fridge overnight (to dry out the meat)
- The FOLLOWING day – remove the meat from the fridge. Throw away the paper towel and allow the meat to come to room temp. While this is happening, pre heat your oven to as hot as it will go.
- After about an hour, sprinkle over the salt and gently press into the meat. Pop in the oven for 30 – 40 minutes at a high heat.
- Reduce heat to 365oF/170oC and bake for another 1.5 hours. Remove from the oven and rest for 20 minutes.
- Remove the crackling and cut into serving size "chunks" and then carve the meat.
- Serve with gravy and veggies or your choice.